Monday, November 21, 2016

The Deceased of Dayton

There are some pretty important people buried at The Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum. This cemetery is located in my hometown of Dayton, Ohio, and founded in 1841. It is a beautiful cemetery, and rather different from the cemeteries and graveyards we have been routinely going to in downtown Charleston.

The Woodland Cemetery is spread over a great amount of hills. This is quite different than Charleston's flat terrain. The cemetery also is home to over 3,000 trees, and no, none of these are palm trees like the ones found in Charleston! I like to climb to the very top of the biggest hill, where there is a gazebo that gives you an awesome view. This gazebo is the highest point in Dayton, Ohio.

I have personal experience with the crazy hills the cemetery is built upon. My high school cross country team used to take busses to the cemetery, which was only about ten minutes from our high school, and complete a hill workout there. It was a bit odd my first year on the team, running around the cemetery. Definitely slightly eerie change in scenery.

When I visited the cemetery over break, I was sure to finally locate the graves of the famous Wilbur and Orville Wright, inventors of the airplane, as well as the famous poet, Paul Dunbar. The Wright Brothers are buried with the rest of their family. Many people have brought shells from North Carolina to place around their grave, because they first flew their plane successfully there.

I also took several photos of grave markers that caught my eye because they were something we learned about in class. I took photos of types of grave markers that I particularly understood the meaning of because of this class, as well as any symbols that I recognized from prior posts or assignments. On top of this I simply took photos of grave markers I found interesting or unique.

Enjoy the series of photos taken at my trip to The Woodland Cemetery!





No comments:

Post a Comment